XaamAdda’s Current Affairs Today Section provides most important daily Current Affairs Today – Current Affairs – 2022 | Current Affairs – 2023. Current affairs topics like Department Of School Education & Literacy , Education Sector , Education System , Performance Grading Index , Performance Grading Index For States. Reports & Indexes Current Affairs are Useful For UPSC IAS , SSC CGL, BANKING & other competitive exams. So, keep reading.
The Department of School Education and Literacy, Union Ministry of Education has released the Performance Grading Index (PGI) for States/UTs for 2020-21.
Current Affairs Important Points
What is Performance Grading Index?
- The Performance Grading Index (PGI) is a unique index that provides an evidence-based comprehensive assessment of the school education system in all states and Union Territories. It provides insights into the performance and achievements of the school education system across India. So far, the PGI report for the years 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 has been released. The latest report is for the year 2020-21.
- The PGI structure has 1,000 points on 70 indicators, which are divided into two categories – results and governance. The 2 categories are further divided into five domains:
- Learning Outcomes (LO)
- Admission (a)
- Infrastructure and Facilities (IF)
- Equity (E)
- Administrative Process (GP)
- PGI divides states and union territories into 10 tiers. The highest attainable grade is Level 1, which states and UTs score more than 950 out of 1,000 marks. The lowest grade is level 10, which states and UTs have less than 551 marks.
What is the purpose of PGI?
- PGI’s comprehensive assessment of the school education system across various states and UTs is used to promote evidence-based policy making and improve quality education in India.
- The ultimate goal of the index is to push states and UTs towards implementing multi-pronged interventions that create optimal educational outcomes, which need to cover all dimensions. It helps governments identify gaps where interventions can be prioritized.
How did states and UTs perform in PGI 2020-21?
- 7 States and Union Territories reached Level 2 (score 901-950) in 2020-21. They are Kerala, Punjab, Chandigarh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh.
- Gujarat, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh are new entrants to Tier 2 – the highest ever.
- None of the States and Union Territories were at this level in 2017-2018.
- Ladakh has significantly improved its performance in PGI. It has moved from Phase 8 to Phase 4 in 2020-21.