XaamAdda’s Current Affairs Today Section provides most important daily Current Affairs Today – Current Affairs – 2022 | Current Affairs – 2023. Current affairs topics like Electronics , Electronics Manufacturing , Electronics Manufacturing Cluster , Electronics Manufacturing Clusters , Maharashtra. Economy & Banking Current Affairs – 2022 , Government Schemes Current Affairs , States Current Affairs are Useful For UPSC IAS , SSC CGL, BANKING & other competitive exams. So, keep reading.
The Union Ministry of Electronics and IT has recently approved a Greenfield Electronic Manufacturing Cluster (EMC) in Pune.
Current Affairs Important Points
What is an Electronic Manufacturing Cluster?
An Electronic Manufacturing Cluster (EMC) is a manufacturing cluster designed and developed to provide the necessary facilities and amenities for manufacturing electronic products like mobile phones, cables etc.
About Maharashtra’s First Electronic Manufacturing Cluster
- A greenfield EMC project in Maharashtra will be set up at Ranjangaon near Pune at a cost of Rs.492.85 crore. This is the first EMC project in the state. It is expected to bring in an investment of over 2,000 crores.
- Central Government approval has been given to Maharashtra State Industrial Organization and Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation. Out of the total expenditure, Rs.207.98 crore will be provided by the Central Government and the remaining Rs.284.87 crore by MIDC and State Industries Corporation.
About other EMCs in India
- Similar EMCs are already in place in Noida (UP), Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) and Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. These clusters are already housing units of multinational companies and domestic startups.
- YSR EMC is the first such electronic manufacturing cluster in 2021. This cluster has the first lithium cell manufacturing facility in the country. It is now one of the 4 EMCs in Andhra Pradesh, the other 3 being located in Tirupati (has 2 EMCs) and Sri Nagar.
What is an EMC project?
- The Government of India launched the EMC project in 2012 under the Ministry of Electronics and IT.
- The scheme provides grant assistance to EMC projects that:
- Up to 50% in case of greenfield projects (with a ceiling of Rs. 50 crore per 100 acres)
- Up to 75% in case of brownfield projects (with a ceiling of Rs. 50 crore per project)
- In 2020, a modified Electronics Manufacturing Clusters or EMC 2.0 scheme was approved in line with the 2019 National Policy on Electronics. Under the modified scheme, assistance is also provided for setting up common facility centres.